Thursday, May 11, 2023

My Hope For You

Griffin Zachary Thomas, GT, my Grinning Griff! Where do I begin? The night before you were born I sat at the kitchen table with Mamoo and Netta looking through a baby name book trying to come up with the perfect name for you. It would be a name that would follow you through life and be a part of your identity so I wanted it to be perfect. Dad and I chose not to find out your gender until you were born which added to the element of surprise for everyone. It also added to my stress level since we went through countless girl names, never finding the perfect one. I knew if you were a boy that your name would be Griffin, and I thought your middle name would be Matthew after dad. Last minute in the delivery room when they announced that you were a boy I decided that Matthew didn't fit you and asked dad what he thought about using Zachary. We both agreed Griffin Zachary was a perfect fit for you. The name has fit you since day one. You have always had the brightest smile and smiled with your whole face. That is where the nickname Grinning Griff came from. People started calling you that before your first birthday. My hope for you is that you never let anyone or anything dim your light or take away your smile. It is one of your greatest attributes and brightens my day whenever I see you.

As your graduation day quickly approaches, I am savoring every minute together and wondering how I can slow down time. I will always treasure our memories made together at Jersey Village. What a gift this has been to me! It has allowed me to watch you grow and learn, face challenges and obstacles with dignity and grace, be a leader to your peers on and off the field, and soar beyond any horizon I ever imagined for you. My heart swells with pride when your teachers and administrators brag to me on what a great kid you are. I am so happy that they recognize and see you for the person that I have always known: a young man full of respect, pride, love for family, dog whisperer, a devoted friend, and a faithful follower of Christ. Don't ever let any situation or person change these qualities about you. 

You have provided me with so much joy and happiness. I will miss having you stop by after 2nd period, watching you play baseball, watching our shows together, watching you love on and wrestle with Stormie, and our nightly talks before heading to bed. Although I will miss these moments, I look forward to so much more. I cannot wait for Facetime talks to hear about your days in Aggieland, dinner trips to College Station, texts to discuss what's going on in our shows, and silly pics that I promise to send you of Stormie! 

There will be trying and hard times but nothing too hard for you to conquer and overcome.  I leave you with these words of advice and encouragement for whenever you need it. First of all; I believe in you, I believe in you, I believe in you! There is always a time in life when we face doubt and question whether or not we are strong enough, smart enough, or capable enough of doing something. I am here to tell you that in all times of doubt, know that you can and will be able to accomplish even the hardest of tasks. I have lived through the trials and tribulations of going off to college, and I am proof that I also lived through and experienced all of the joys and successes that college brings too.

Know your worth but be humble. Being humble doesn't mean thinking less of yourself, it means thinking of yourself less often so you can also serve others. Help the underdog. It is always to easy to go with the crowd, but takes courage and compassion to go against the norm. Push yourself to make new friends, try new foods, experience new adventures, and play intramural sports. This is a wonderful time in your life to explore new opportunities. Take advantage of it and have fun! Strive to find joy in all that you do. True joy is happiness with peace and serenity mixed in. Put your faith in God and pray often. Lean on your faith and try not to worry; trust me I have lived through so much worry that never came to fruition. It was a waste of my time and energy. Know that you can always call on me without judgement no matter what the situation. 

I will end with this. I am and always will be your #1 fan and biggest supporter. You can call on me all hours of the day or night. I will always have time to listen to you, support you, calm, you, laugh with you, motivate you, and encourage you. I will always have time to see you, and I certainly don't mind making the trip to College Station for dinner and a hug. So go do big things!

I already miss you, and you haven't even left for college yet. I will miss hugging you goodnight, walking by your room to harass you, talking to you after school, and so much more. I am thankful for facetime calls to hear about what is going on in your life, snapchat streaks so I can see your face at least once a day, and random texts just to let me know that you are okay. I look forward to holidays together, weekend visits, and summers spent at home. Know that our home is always waiting for your return. I am beyond proud of you Griffin Zachary Thomas, GT 23, Mr. Summa Cum Laude, Future Aggie, and soon to be graduate! 

Remember Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".

I love you always and forever!

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment